From its inception in 1981, the SOAR Beautification Awards, presented at the annual meeting, were created to encourage improvement of the landscape for residential, commercial and institutional buildings in the neighborhood. As is the case today, buildings were nominated for consideration and “beautification walks” were organized to view the nominated buildings. For many years, participants in these walks acted as the judges and selected the properties to receive the awards, based on the following criteria:
- Landscaping contributes to the overall quality of life in Streeterville for residents and tourists.
- Landscaping shows substantial improvement in quality and interest.
- Landscaping demonstrates creativity, color, and interest for residents, workers, and tourists.
- Landscaping is well maintained and cared for.
- Award winners inspire those in other Streeterville residential, commercial, and institutional buildings to improve their own landscaping.
In recent years, the nomination & voting process has gone electronic. Nominations are open to everyone and will be accepted through Friday, July 19. Nominate your favorite landscape today.
SOAR members can judge by participating in the Beautification Walk, scheduled for Saturday, July 27, (10:00 am to noon) recording their choices on the website Beautification link or calling the SOAR office at 312.282.2596 to receive a ballot via mail. In August, the data will be tallied and the properties with the most votes will be selected for awards in that given year.
SOAR also honors buildings that are “most improved” or “perennial” in the quality of their landscaping. Landscaping generally has improved in Streeterville over the years. Walking through the area one is treated to colorful flowers of the season at many turns, making a pleasant pedestrian experience.